Friday, March 16, 2012

Special Springtime Gardening Post!

Spring seems to finally be here! In spring, who doesn't love the chirping birds, small green shoots, blooming flowers, light soft rain, and sunny days? We can also use this season to help us be more environmentally friendly.
I haven't very much experience in gardening, but I'll share with you what I know:
  1. If you're gardening for aesthetics, the best things to plant are wildflowers and wild grasses that are native to your region. They require very little attention and give a more natural, welcoming feel to your lawn.
  2. For an extra sustainability punch, grow your own vegetables! This will reduce the strain on the food production system and make your lifestyle more resilient. So far, I have grown heirloom brandywine tomatoes, and I am now attempting to raise some heirloom pea plants. It isn't really very hard.
  3. Even if you are growing your vegetables inside the house, bring them outdoors during mild rain or plentiful sun. It will help with their growth and health and spare you from having to water them with tap water.
  4. Use a rain barrell (or a bucket, or a container, or a cup) when it rains. Then use this to water your plants. (It saves water.)
  5. Don't go driving for miles just to find the right thing. If you need a container to pot your seedlings, use an old tupperware jar or ask a neighbour if you can use something of theirs.
  6. Most of all, spend time outdoors this spring, away from the sucking electricity usage that most of us are far too accustomed to.

Black-Eyed Susans, native wildflowers to my region

Happy gardening!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, what lovely inspiration!!!! I have been getting very excited about my garden:) I hoped to get in there and dig around today... but we were surprised by a freak snow storm..... oh no! My poor little seeds!!!
    Good luck with yours!
    Cheers.
    www.veganchocolate.ca

    ReplyDelete