Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Getting Politically Involved

Wow, I almost forgot to post today! Oh well; I'm glad that I remembered to do so this evening. Now, about getting politically involved...
Getting politically active is a vital way to start to make change. Everything else that I've talked about here is important, obviously, but sometimes it's necessary to contact the government or campaign for a party, too!
I know that a lot of people (myself included) groan at the mention of politics. It's so controversial that it leads to many pointless heated debates. I mean, do we have to talk about this???
Well, if we really are concerned about the environment and not just pretending, it turns out that we do!
Get involved in something to do with political change. Isn't that what democracy is all about?
Here are some things you can do to help in your community and nation:

1) If you're 18 or over, you can vote. Therefore, when reviewing potential candidates to vote for, take into account what they have to say about the environment. This doesn't mean you have to vote for the Green Party of Canada if you don't want to. But you really should choose a candidate who wants to help save the environment.
2) Petitions! Here's a good rule of thumb: every year, start two petitions and sign ten others. You probably don't want to spend all day signing endless Internet petitions (I know you have better things to do), but signing a few and starting a few is good.
3) Write letters to government officials. I sent a letter to Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada, regarding to cruel seal hunt. I got a letter back from someone who works with Harper, and it was actually personalised and responded to the things I said in my letter! I had been so sure that my letter would be opened, read, and tossed aside among what I imagined to be thousands of others. I figured I might have gotten a pre-written response (some other people sent their own, too, so they might have sent us all the same thing), but I didn't. My letter was given to someone in charge of Fisheries and Oceans. See-- this sort of thing can make a difference, after all!
Image Detail
Don't be intimidated by official-looking documents and coats of arms. It's all there for us, the citizens (theoretically, anyway). We had might as well use our individual power to help the environment! Believe me, it can be as easy as writing a quick e-mail.
4) Join a group that deals with environmental issues.
5) Attend a city council meeting.
6) If you really like a party that helps the environment, like the Green Party or NDP of Canada, for instance, then you can join the party or donate money, or volunteer for them.
7) If you have some really good ideas for what you think needs to be done in your municipality or city, ask to meet with the official (for Canada, MP and mayor) in person.
8) Politics isn't just in your country, province, state, or municipality. Everywhere you go that has a specific governance system-- schools, workplaces, recreation centers, environmental organizations, clubs, etc.-- has its own politics. If your boss, for example, makes you and your co-workers use uncertified and unrecycled paper for documents and things, ask him to change it. Depending on the situation, you could even start a petition for forest-friendly paper.

There is no reason why everyday civilians can't get involved! We are the ones who influence the government, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment