Friday, August 24, 2012

Alternatives to Video Games

Hi everyone,
I've made it to a computer on a Friday after all-- in the Maritimes! So, here is my post...
Today I am going to write about the alternatives to video games and computer games. Video games are so addictive, but it is always better to find real-world activities to engage in, partially to enrich your life, and partially to reduce your eco-footprint. However, if you are already hooked on video games, you will probably want to do things that are similar to video games-- just more real. Here is that list of things:
1) Card games. You can play with a partner, group of people, or by yourself. I used to play online card games like Scarab 21 and Pyramids on Neopets.com until one day I couldn't, so I got out a deck of real cards instead. It was so fun, and it had a sort of video-game feel anyway.
2) When I was addicted to my favourite virtual pets site, neopets.com, I made a noble attempt to "bring it off the computer", by doing things offline that I had previously been doing online. For example, I started making up my own Neopets- related brain-teaser games and writing them on paper. I also made my own Neopets fan merchandise-- out of repurposed materials, of course.
3) If you are hopelessly obsessed with your video games, here is my advice to you:go out and pretend that life is a video game. Go out into the woods and pretend you are in your video game in the haunted woods. It sounds nerdy, but really-- what is better: sitting at home with a computer screen to keep you company, or having fun in the real world?
I'll take the real world anyday!
Remember the expression: If you don't use it, you lose it. If you don't go out in nature, it won't be preserved and it will disappear!

No comments:

Post a Comment