Friday, November 4, 2011

Let's go back to WWII (without the fighting!)

I recently read a book called Flygirl. It was about a pilot woman living during WWII.
Now-- in that book I learned a bit more about rationed items. People kept "ration books" which had little coupons that would let them buy the items, usually foods, that were scarce. Every time they bought one of those rationed items, the clerk at the store would tear out the coupon to show that they had had their share. The books were issued once a month. Get it?
Wouldn't it be cool if we could make our own "ration books"? Think about it: things are becoming scarce nowadays. You won't notice it if you go to the store, because they don't want you to believe that. But there are some communities that really need the stuff that we rather carelessly splurge on. There are obviously some essentials that we need, but sometimes we either waste it or get too much of it. You can make those little coupons to fit your lifestyle. Every time you use something that takes up electricity or resources, take off a coupon with what ever you did written on it and store it away. When all the coupons for one activity are gone, you'll have to wait until next month! The point is to use less than you do already, so make it a challenge each month! Also, please use GOOSE (Good On One Side onlEe) paper to save resources! You can also write up your goals on a separate sheet of GOOSE paper to help you remember (see examples below).
Here are some things to consider when writing up your very own ration book:
  • water: shower, tap, swimming pool, dish-washing
e.g. "This month, I can have 28 five-minute showers, fill the swimming pool 2 times, hose down the car once." (make a coupon for each shower, etc.)
  • energy: clothes dryer, computer, television, music, radio, video games, oven
e.g. "This month, I can use the oven to cook or bake things 15 times, have 10 twenty-minute video gaming sessions, and use the clothes dryer instead of air drying methods three times."
  • transportation: cars, buses, airplanes
e.g. "This month, I can drive or get a ride with someone to unnecessary things (like to see the movies) five times. I will not fly on an airplane this month."


  • food choices: how you prepare it, what you buy, how it is packaged, restaurants, organic, home grown
e.g. "This month, I can buy/eat  foods individually packaged in plastic 15 times, I can eat 40 meals that do not include raw foods, etc."


So those are some ideas right there. I think I'd better practice what I preach and make a ration book today. If you don't know what to do with all the money you'll save by doing this, you can always donate it to your favourite environmental organization, or donate some items that you no longer need to people and animals in need. Double your positive impact!

Here are some pictures of WWII ration books:
Image DetailImage Detail
And...

SPECIAL SURPRISE.
I have included "About Me" pages to my blogs (see sidebar), which include information on how I became interested in these issues, as well as some of my hobbies. Also, look up at the url of the page. There should be a teeny koala there!

Next week: I will talk about eco-conferences and the ones I have gone to, which include the 2011 Youth Summit for Biodiversity and Sustainable Living, and the upcoming Ecomentors Conference this weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I love your idea of using ration books! It is too easy to do what is easy and convenient. I think I'm pretty good at being environmentally friendly in a lot of ways but I can see there are ways that I can do better - like biking or cycling to nearby places instead of driving and buying items that are not overly packaged. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your next blog!
    Peace.
    Chickadee Mom

    ReplyDelete